Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The story of The Ganges River

The Story of The Ganges River      
                  Let me start off by telling you who I am. I am the Ganges River. I flow miles long in the country of India. I am no ordinary river however; I have special powers. I provide many a way of release. I can also provide the opportunity for you to once more see a member of your life that you have lost. If someone has died in your family, I am the river in which you would release the ashes of your loved one to. I can also bring your loved on back, but only in the form of a ghost. Not only can I do all that, but if you feel that you can live no more without your loved one that has passed, you can walk into me and be released from earth to be with the one you have lost. All you have to do is gather around me and began chanting mantras. Let me tell you of the story when the Kaurava princess was faced once again with her prince.
                  The Kaurava princess was mournful when her husband had died in battle. She lost him after just two years of marriage, and had  a child with him. Hearing about what I The Ganges River could do for her, she immediately began her prayers to me. I am very particular as to what it takes for humans to receive this grant from me, and the Kaurava princess performed perfectly.
                  First, the princess came and sat beside me early in the morning. She patiently waited, and meditated throughout the length of the day. As night came, she began to chant a specific mantra that is dedicated to this “ceremony”. While chanting these mantras, the Kaurava princess slowly walked into my deep waters. This allowed for cleansing. Once fully submerged, she returned to the bank of my body. She had fully performed what I requested of her.
                  Since everything was correctly done, I began my process of the “ceremony”. My arms, which to many is known to be waves, began flowing up and down, getting larger and producing bubbles around my whole body. While this happened, the Kaurava princess began chanting her husbands name. Soon, her husband rose from inside of me on a majestic elephant, and rode to his wife.
The Kaurava's husband riding back to her on his elephant. Photo Credits: Wikimedia
                  I allowed for the couple to meet and communicate to each other for an hour’s time. They both went to the forest next to me, and rekindled their loved for one another. The Kaurava princess was becoming heartbroken as time progressed. She knew that once time was up, her husband would have to ride back to me.
                  The princess couldn’t bare leave her husband once more. She knew she had a child to take care of, but this seemed to cause her more pain. She then decided to go to Maharajah Dhritarashtra and Queen Gandhari, and asked for them to take care of her one and only son. They agreed to do so. After bowing down at their feet, the princess decided to hand them her child, and walked into me to once more be with her husband.

Authors Note:

I decided to write my story in the format of bringing a natural object to life, and tell its story. I chose to tell the story from the point of view of The Ganges River. I tried to keep most of the story parallel to that of the original story. All the requirements of the river, and the part where the princess “drowned” in the end to be with her husband all were aspects that happened; or could happen. I did however decide to focus on the princess because this allowed me to write about how woman died to be with their loved ones. Parts of this story were added on and did not occur in the original story; these include, this actually being a ceremony, the princess giving her child to the Maharajah and Queen, the princesses husband coming back on a majestic elephant(although warriors who had passed away did arrive on charriots and elephants), and whoever is asking for their loved one to return to fully submerge into the river first. I also left out the part where the river foamed once the waves occurred.

Bibliography:

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of bringing the Ganges to life. It is such an important part of the Hindi tradition that I wouldn't be surprised if, in some ancient text somewhere, it is ascribed human characteristics and its own autonomy. Your choice of the elephant (another sacred Hindi symbol) fit well with the narrative and theme that you were using. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personifying the Ganges was a lovely idea! I enjoyed reading its reactions to the ritual and ceremony, and the fact that you included an explanation about the need for cleansing was also very nice. I did have one question: is the river always a neutral third party or did it have anything to say about the relationship between the princess and her lover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with this story! Bringing the river to life reminded me of the first story in the Mahabharata when King Santanu fell in love with the woman who turned out to be the Ganga “the deity of the river”. While reading your story I felt like you were continuing this first scene in the book. I loved it. Your Author’s Note was also very detailed which helped a lot! It gave me ideas on ways I can write my own Author’s Notes to be more helpful. I like how you broke down what exactly you changed! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ganges seems so lifelike in the readings, so it's really appropriate that you officially brought her to life using words. You stayed true to the story and even elaborated on the ceremony of bringing the prince to life. I liked hearing about how the prayer the Kaurava princess said made the water move in waves, and how you revealed that waves are the Ganges' arms. It was really beautiful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you told your story from the viewpoint of the Ganges. That made it a lot more interesting in my opinion. I also loved the imagery throughout your story! Imagery is probably my favourite part of stories, as it paints such beautiful picture in your mind! You portrayed the princess's love for her husband so well. Especially when you said she gave up her only son in order to go be with her husband. Great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete